If you are running a home network, chances are you don't care too much about its stability, quality, performance and such. Even so, a cheap router may not even work well at home!
OK, why they suck? They are lots of reasons really, but here are the major ones:
- Just a rebrand/OEM product - Some vendors just took a no-name brand from somewhere and mark their name on it. Be smart, ask them if they own the underlying technology.
- Just one product out of 100s or even 1000s - For popular consumer brands like Linksys, DLink, a dual wan router is just one small member of their entire product line. You bet, we can imagine how much attention they pay to these home routers.
- Did I mention support? - OK, seriously, would anyone expect good support at this price level?
- Did I mention they crash a lot? - Simply poorly designed software.
- Still the old saying - You get what you paid for!
If it's for home, well, that's fine. It doesn't hurt much.
Now if you're running a *business*, I think you should be careful. Get a truly business grade multi wan router instead. It's an one-off investment, so it will pay off over time nicely and quickly.